1er

Sunday, December 29, 2013

white marble new beginnings

After a lot of um-ing and ugh-ing, a few photo server crashes, some moments of hesitation, constant prodding and poking by the creative masterminds at work, I've decided to start a fresh. I used to look at the way my favourite blogs transformed, how some closed and reopened with entirely new content and personas and would ask myself what warranted such a huge jump.

Everyone I consider a good artist researchers their themes thoroughly; this blog post involved reading a few "first posts", swearing at my inability (still) to master adobe Illustrator, numerous uni courses and late night sessions later and just an urge to strip the old blog bare. Which would probably make this "first post" kind of crap. But that's ok. I'm hoping that as digital mix media project x portfolio this blog will evolve overtime and what's better than a blank canvas?

I'm not a huge fan of quotes, but one that's definitely stuck with me for the last few years is one from Steve Jobs:

If you want to live your life in a creative way, as an artist, you have to not look back too much. You have to be willing to take whatever you’ve done and whoever you were and throw them away. What are we, anyway? Most of what we think we are is just a collection of likes and dislikes, habits, patterns. At the core of what we are is our values, and what decisions and actions we make reflect those values. That is why it’s hard doing interviews and being visible: As you are growing and changing, the more the outside world tries to reinforce an image of you that it thinks you are, the harder it is to continue to be an artist, which is why a lot of times, artists have to go, “Bye. I have to go. I’m going crazy and I’m getting out of here.” And they go and hibernate somewhere. Maybe later they re-emerge, a little differently.
notes; marble building, Paris 7th arr, 2013

No comments: